The temperatures have suddenly dropped this week and although they have a permanent coat, we shouldn’t forget that our dogs can get very cold too. Here are a few pointers on how to keep your pooches safe and warm this Winter:
- Outdoor kennels – if your dogs sleep outside, make sure their kennel is water-tight, they should ideally have a raised bed so they are not sleeping on the cold, damp ground and if possible, a heat lamp which would make your dog more comfortable, especially at night. Take a look at Wayfair’s selection of elevated beds for outdoor sleeping.
- An extra coat when you take your dog out for a walk on a cold day is a great idea, especially for smaller dogs. Pets at Home have a vast range, as do Amazon who offer some highly rated Ancol dog coats. For the ultra smart dog, why not splash out on one of Barbour’s luxury dog coats, available at John Lewis.
- Older dogs may benefit from extra thermal insulation in their bed during the Winter, especially if they are sleeping near a door or if your central heating is turned off at night time. Monster Pet Supplies offer a range of Ancol and Scruffs heat pads and heated beds for dogs which are offered at great prices – check them out here. These pads can also be helpful for puppies although be careful if your puppy is a chewer!
- Blankets and snuggle beds are also a lovely idea to keep your dog comfortable at this time of year. Check out one of our favourites, the Charley Chau Snuggle Bed, available at Monster Pet Supplies.
- Finally, it’s probably worth investing in a throw for your sofa too! I often find my dogs trying to sneak up on to the sofa at this time of year for a snuggle.